If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. My top 5 Tips for making a photography session with Children will definitely come in handy.
- Don’t make a huge deal out of it. If you’re stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behaviour will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter’s hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won’t sit still. Focus on the big picture and don’t get hung up on the small stuff.
- Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. They can bring some of their creativity to the shoot. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game – and bribes always work!!
- Be prepared. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. I always suggest bringing some of your child’s favourite toys. This keeps them engaged with something familiar to them.
- Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with us and your photos will look fantastic.
- Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give us a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.